20 February 2012

Lyme Regis

Hello! Happy Monday everyone! Today I'd like to introduce you to a very pretty English coastal town.


Welcome to Lyme Regis!

(Yes, I finally got around to this blog post. I've left you in anticipation long enough.... or did you even notice?!)

This man was throwing a fresh coat of paint on this boat.
Left:  the main street slopes down toward the ocean -  if you look closely you can just spot the ocean beyond the buildings

A few of the shops on the main street
The ocean front is lined with shops on the upper level, and beach huts on the lower


Jane Austen visited Lyme often and was very fond of it.
In her novel Persuasion, she describes:
...the principal street almost hurrying into the water, the walk to the Cobb, skirting round the pleasant little bay, which in the season is animated with bathing-machines and company; the Cobb itself, its old wonders and new improvements, with the very beautiful line of cliffs stretching out to the east of the town, are what the stranger's eye will seek; and a very strange stranger it must be, who does not see charms in the immediate environs of Lyme, to make him wish to know it better.


The Cobb, as shown in the next several photos, is probably what Lyme Regis is most known for.  It's a sort of historic harbour wall that wriggles out into the English Channel.

The Cobb has a lower level, and an upper level

If  you've watched one of the movie adaptation of Jane Austen's Persuasion, the Cobb will look familiar to you. In the 1995 adaptation, these are the steps where silly Louisa Musgrove jumped from.

Miles and I took turns walking on the upper level of the Cobb.

The view of the calming ocean from the Cobb

Miles kept Tess entertained on the lower level of the Cobb.




The rocky beach

A residential area of Lyme
The town is set up slightly onto a large hill and overlooks the ocean


After our fulfilling day of exploring Lyme, we set out for home and enjoyed some beautiful scenery along the way.



So please do tell me - what did you think of Lyme Regis?  It has most certainly captured my heart.


(Linking up today with: And then she SnappedThe Creative Exchange, Sweet Shot Tuesday, Communal Global )

31 comments:

M & J Bowerbank said...

Oh, what is there not to love! Love me anything Jane Austen.

Tanya said...

What a lovely town. I can't wait to give it a try in the spring or summer!

Mandi @ Southern Gnome said...

What a beautiful place. I want to come for a visit now. You take such beautiful photos and really tell a great story with them.

Sara ;) said...

Christian says he loves Lyme Regis...and that it's the greatest place to find fossils. He still has one he found there when he was a boy. We think we need to plan a vacation to England! :)

Betty Manousos@ Cut and Dry said...

what a lovely town!

your photos are beyond beautiful!

Great Scott said...

Love these photos. The muted colors, the sea, the Cobb - everything is just so dreamy and soft. I love the colorful beach huts. I've yet to see them in person and really don't know the story with those. Do you rent them? What do you do with them? Such a great post - really feel like I was there. And love that you threw in the bit about Miss Musgrove's fall - was thinking the whole time, "this sounds like where she fell...". :)

caliowin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Be still my heart, Lyme is beautiful! Must visit!

Traci said...

u know since brandon has been surfing more, i so heart going to the beach and their towns! i heart rhode island, so this kind of reminds me of it with the fun shops, ocean, and beaches!!
loved it!

Jenny said...

I love Lyme Regis. It's one of the most picturesque towns we've visited. Beautiful photos!

Molly said...

I have never been to Lyme Regis but you have done a great job of making it look a very tempting destination. I love the seagull pic, it is so beautiful clear and well composed.

Mollyxxx

lisa said...

What a beautiful series of photographs this is. It looks like a wonderful place to be, and little Tess is absolutely precious!

Thank you so much for sharing with us this week at The Creative Exchange.

Have a wonderful day!

lisa.

Kris said...

Sara & Christian, please do come! How I would love getting to show you around dear friend! xo

Kris said...

Cali - very interesting about the Sea vs. Ocean. Come to think of it, you are right, most Americans will say "ocean"... yet I called Lyme Regis a "seaside" town. Go figure! Thanks for your impute, I always appreciate your insight.

Life with Kaishon said...

What a gorgeous town. Oh my goodness : ) Thank you for showing us this magnificent place! : )

katie said...

I just love those little beach shacks all lined up! And now I can see how easy it would be to fall from those steps (although, Louisa Musgrove was being very stubborn and unpersuadable by jumping even as Captain Wentworth exclaimed that it was "too high!"). Lovely photos, friend.

ZoeB said...

I love beach huts. While the children were little we rented one for a week each summer at Canford cliffs nr Bournmouth Dorset. Many are rented out long term to locals who then sublet them but some are often rented out by the local councils for tourists. My sister and I used to spend many an hour deciding how we'd decorate them but really they need to be very functional and a mish mash of items, as cups and glasses are often broken. There are some at Mudeford that can be slept in but on the whole they are just for day use.
ZoeB

Courtney Landsberger said...

Hi! I don't know exactly how to start this, but, I'm currently in a blogging class at the University of Central Oklahoma and we have to do a brief presentation over our favorite blogs and I was wondering if I could get into contact with you via e-mail to ask you a couple questions for my presentation? If not, I understand! But if you have time, could you e-mail me at clandsberger1@uco.edu ? Thank you so much! Sorry this is a very weird question. Also, if you can't e-mail, could I ask you these questions over our blogs?

tinajo said...

It looks beautiful, I´d love to see it in real life!

Chelsea said...

What a wonderful place. Awesome!

Erika B said...

Such a beautiful place! You've really captured it beautifully. Amazing shots.

Erika B

kimmyskids said...

These are absolutely gorgeous! I would love to visit there!

Bethany said...

Gorgeous shots! It looks so very beautiful!

Madge Bloom said...

What an absolutely beautiful place... I can understand why it captured your heart.

Nessa Bixler said...

I want to climb in every single photo. How gorgeous.

Tracy Beckett said...

Oh wow, this is incredible! Great photos and writings. I love to read your blog, and you always do such a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing your world with us!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Beautiful photos.

Regards and best wishes

Lori said...

Beautiful photos and setting!

...melody... said...

These photos are beautiful! I love the colors, the scene, and the way you captured it all! :) The beach huts look like so much fun...time to plan another trip! HA!

the hollie rogue said...

this is your life? wow, so gorgeous! thanks for linking up and i'm facebooking about your pretty photos!

Brenda Lee Hansen said...

Wow! So Beautiful! And I meant it with that capital 'b'...simply lovely.